Sunday, July 7, 2013

A story and a trip to Charlotte.

So, last night Rob was out working on the Stream and I was inside packing up books. I get a phone call from him, "I need you to come help me." Ok. Sure.

I go out there and he's in the bathroom, crouched down, and he says to me, "I'm gonna move and you need to put your finger right here." Hang on there, buddy... right where? What's going on? And then I see it... the water all over the floor. He explained to me that he had turned the water on to test some things and then turned it back off and that in the process of doing that the water heater filled up. Now, said water heater was draining out gallons of water right into the bathroom. Fantastic. So we switched places and I plugged the pipe with my finger.

Rob says, "I have a plan!" He comes in with a length of Pex pipe with a shark bite connector and we try to do a quick switch and put it on the open pipe. No go. It didn't fit and now there was more water on the ground. I re-inserted my finger and asked for a bucket. It's an extremely small space so we had to use a trim paint pail (about 5"dia x 10"deep). I filled and dumped that thing about 20 times before the water finally slowed down and Rob was able to get in there and clean up and get it fixed. >phew<

Filling the bucket... again.

At least this drain is functional.


I tell ya what, this whole thing is a wild ride.

To top if off, both of our cars were in the shop this week which set us back in precious funds. Surprise! Oh well. It's all good.

We also went to Charlotte, NC on Tuesday to get a few things. We scored a toilet for the A-stream and saved about $80 on it. We also got a futon from Craigslist. I had searched long and hard for this particular Ikea futon with a particular mattress. Before we went down, I asked the woman selling it to confirm that it was the mattress I wanted and she said it was. We go, we buy, we drive away. I later check the tags and BOOM! Wrong mattress! I'm pretty sure I shed a tear. I was really upset. There are 4 grades of Ikea futon mattresses and I wanted the "Havet" one. It's more like a regular mattress. What we got was the cheaper "Lovas" one. NOT AT ALL what I wanted. >deep breath< We will survive. We'll probably just grab a foam topper and be fine. It was just so disappointing to drive that far for a let-down. Oh well.

We also went to the Ikea store while down there and exchanged the futon cover that came with the futon for a different one. Blackish/grey for white. At least I can have the cover I want. We got a new sink as well. And a towel rack. And curtain liners for me to sew into the new curtains I have yet to make.

A very long, very expensive day. It was stuff we needed though and I'm glad we have it.

Once Rob is done with the plumbing, all we really need to do (major stuff) is test the gas lines and related appliances (water heater, stove/oven and furnace). The new wood floors should come in tomorrow and get installed on Tuesday (by Rob and James, my brother-in-law). Can't wait to see the floors once they're in! It's gonna make it seem so much closer to being ready! I need to finish painting the cabinets this weekend so I don't risk getting paint on the new floor. My little toddler has given-up his naps as of this week so, I don't have time during the day to work on stuff anymore. Nighttime work, here we come!

Oh yeah... and I probably should really start packing. ;-)

19 days until launch!!

Stay tuned for another plumbing post from Rob with details, for those of you interested in hearing about this monstrosity:





No comments:

Post a Comment