Saturday, May 25, 2013

I've got to do something!




I'm getting so restless! We brought home the camper on a Wednesday which, for my family, means that the Handy Hubby began his work "week" the next day, Thursday. He works 12 hour days, Thursday-Sunday, and then is off Monday-Wednesday. So, like I said, we brought her home Wednesday and I'm having to twiddle my thumbs waiting for HH to be off so we can get to work on this old girl. A lot of what needs to do done initially is demolition and that's his department. However, I just couldn't stand it anymore so I went out and started taking measurements of the windows for new curtains today.

There are 9 windows (counting the front 3 as 1) and I will need to make 8 sets of curtains (the side double windows will share a set). That's a lot of sewing! The kitchen window, seen above, will get a new roller shade which I will cover in fabric. (Like THIS) The window already has this crazy roller shade box with spots at different levels to secure the shade. It's totally weird and I'll have to get a photo of it to show you. I think I'll keep it though, just for kicks and because it's one less thing we have to rip out... and that's a good thing.


If you look at the photo here ---->
you'll see the curtain track that is original to the Airstream. I could take it all out and put in regular curtain rods OR I could leave it and use it. I would have to buy "g-tabs" to slide in there and then I could attach the curtain panels to those for a retro sliding panel. I haven't decided what I want to do yet. Again, it comes down to... do we want to yank those off the wall? I guess we'll have to see.














Here's another shot of the rail going around.

Could be cool to have the curtains all the way around like that. One solid line around the front.
Might be good for keeping the light out as well...











Ok, and here's a rant: Why did these people put so many holes in the wall that I now have to patch?!

Seriously. Why?

Anyway... I have a lot of work ahead and I've got to pick some fabric too! Do I buy fabric and sew them myself or do I buy ready-made panels and hem to length? Check out my Pinterest board to see some of my ideas for fabric, attachments and all kinds of Airstreamy stuff!

Also, I started cleaning the walls tonight. They were so grimy and sticky and yuck! I just used a good spongy/scrubber and a bucket of hot water with Dawn super extra power (not the actual name ;-) ) and it worked great. The walls don't feel tacky anymore so, we should be able to paint over them without a problem. I got about half of the front of the "ship" done and I've got a lot more to go! It'll be easier once we pull everything out, for sure. Can't wait for Monday!

2 comments:

  1. If you were to ask me... I would say go the route of the 'G-Tab'. It's often nice to keep some original features like that and I think it would be nice to have the wrap-around curtain. And since you are making them custom yourself, it won't cost a fortune either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to agree. I also think it would be the best way to keep out the most light. If I can make it work... I think I'll try.

      Delete