Saturday, October 19, 2013

Things rarely go according to plan.

The mind of man plans his way,
But the Lord directs his steps.
~ Proverbs 16:9 (NASB)

First off, I can't believe it's been so long since I last wrote on here. A lot has happened since we moved in nearly two months ago. I can't believe it's been two months! In some ways, it feels like forever ago... like we've been living in the Airstream for much longer. We're pretty comfortable in here and it feels natural, for the most part. When I think about moving out of here someday I actually get a little sad. There's something just so nice about being so simple. I don't have a big house to clean. I don't have a ton of stuff laying around that I don't use or really even want. When I think about my 300 sqft storage unit that's packed to the hilt with my things, I just want to burn it all (or at least most of it) and start over. Being a pack rat who is terrible at throwing/giving things away, that's a big deal! I think living in here has given Rob and I a new perspective on what we really need and, surprise surprise!, it's not much. I've even been tempted to get rid of more stuff out of the camper because, in the past 2 months, I haven't even touched it. If I'm not using it, why do I have it? 

When we finally do have a house again and all of our stuff is back out of storage, I'm going to be very selective about what comes out of a box and into my house and what just goes to a yard sale/Goodwill. I don't want to have things in my house that don't have a purpose or a meaning. And don't even get me started on Will's toys. He currently has about 1/5 of his books and toys here in the camper and we haven't even missed the rest. I'm so grateful for the people who have gifted him the things he has so, don't get me wrong but, I think I'm going to have to limit the toys in the future. Besides, since our plan is to have land and animals, etc... he'll have plenty to do outside! (And so will we!)

Ok. I'll be done with my "stuff" rant now. ;-)

Back to the Airstream... 

We finally have hot water! It took 6 weeks but, we've got it now! Very exciting. It's a propane, on-demand water heater and it's working really well so far. Doing dishes in the Airstream is challenging enough as it is and it's nice not to have to boil water in the kettle first. I swear, I will never complain about doing dishes in a "real" kitchen again. (Never say never! ;-) ) Even without a dishwasher, a full-sized kitchen with actual counter-space makes doing the washing so. much. easier. However, we've got a pretty good system down in here and it works fine. I just have to stay on top of it all or it gets out of hand VERY easily. Right now I'm lookin' at 2 bowls, 3 plates and a pan that are dirty and I better wash them soon or I'll have no room on the counter. Discipline, discipline, discipline. I guess that's good for me. 

Rob is also working on installing the bathroom sink & faucet and building the vanity. We've had to custom build it because it's such a weird, small space and the countertop has to go around the water heater, which is hung on the wall. I think it's turning out really well and I can't wait for it to be functional! After that, we still have to install the composting toilet (Yes, I said composting toilet!) and get the shower working. I'll write more about those as they happen. 

Here are some photos of the progress. 

The water heater and custom vanity in process.

The vanity will be fitted with beadboard when it's done.

This is the vent for the water heater. 



Ok. Not a project picture but, that little bar with hooks from Ikea has saved my kitchen. Love it!


The custom wooden countertop. "Looks like Utah!" ... almost.

The 'Stream chillin' in its spot next to the house.


Lots of sanding and then several coats of poly.

A dry fit test. Looks pretty good!

I love this bowl. You can't beat $30 and a great story!


I'd also like to say that living in a very small space with a puppy hasn't been too bad. I actually am convinced that it has made potty training easier, has prevented him from chewing on things he shouldn't (at least, not for more than a few seconds) and has helped us to be more in tune with him in general. He is now nearly 15 weeks old which means we've had him for 7 weeks already! For those of you who aren't also FB friends with me, his name was finally chosen after having him home for 10 days and the vote was: Benson. He's still very nippy and he barks too much for my liking, even at 15wks. We're working on those things though. He's also in a really great obedience class. He's so smart and I'm hoping to get him involved in agility classes, even if only for fun!



This was Benson at 8 weeks, the day we brought him home.
And here's my ragamuffin now. 15 weeks old. 

He's so scruffy! Chewin' an antler out in the yard. :-)


Oh yeah, and now for some pretty big news. News we weren't anticipating happening but, things don't always go according to plan. We placed an offer on a house and it has been accepted. WHAT?! That's right. It looks like we are buying a house! I have to admit, my head is spinning a little bit. I'm going to devote my next post to this news and the interesting and fun facts surrounding it, as well as let you know what's in the future for the Airstream. Look for that post in the next day or two! 


2 comments:

  1. You made an offer on a house??!!!! I'm assuming it's a house with lots of land! I can't wait to hear the update. Please write more soon! By the way, I LOVE that bowl/sink too! It looks like pottery. Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll get to see all about the house tomorrow, in a new post! :-)
      The sink came from Bellingham, WA and we carried it, along with another, larger one, all the way home on planes and through airports. Haha. But it was worth it!

      Delete