Saturday, June 8, 2013

Just an update... and a question.

So, I know I haven't posted any renovation pics or posts this week yet and that's because Rob is just working on the back end floor and, well, it's not too unlike the front end and I already shared that with you all. It's almost done though (yay) and that means next up to bat is painting everything! I primed the front end but now we've got to do everything else. After that, we'll put in the kitchen cabinet/s and get all the kitchen appliances, etc. in working order. Probably after that we'll move to the bathroom. And then the beds/couches... after another coat of paint on the walls, that is.

The other news is, we sold our house! We are "under contract", according to the sign in our yard. That means inspections next week and packing everything up and putting all of it, except what fits in our little 250sqft Airstream, into storage. Yipee. Sounds fun, right? Ha. Ha. No. Well, maybe a little. It's thrilling and scary all at the same time but, we know that wherever we go God is with us and He will provide. The thought of ditching the comforts of home and taking flight in a camper would not even be an option to most Americans and yet, here we are. It is mentally challenging to fight the need for the cultural definition of "security", which includes a regular house or apartment, and take a risk. It's stressful to plan for building a house when money is tight and you can't believe that you are downsizing, even after you build, from our current 960sqft. The plan we are looking at is only 796sqft and you can find it here. We really hope to put it on a basement though, so we can have a mudroom down there along with room for future expansion. I think after living in an Airstream, 796sqft will seem big anyway! :-) We'll be updating on here about the building process as we go through it.

But all of the aside, the hot topic in our house right now is... drumroll please!... When do we get a dog??! That's right, a dog. "But wait!" you might say, "Aren't you packing and moving and then living in a camper? Won't that be too tight? Why don't you just wait until you're in your new house?"  Well, I'll tell you why. Rob works late and I want NEED a four-legged alarm system to feel safe. One that could double as a ninja if needed. Yes, I am going to freshen-up on my gun-toting skills and have our little arsenal right there with me... but there's just something so comforting about having a beast of a dog there with me too. I'm not sure I would do it without him. The question of timing remains, though. Do we get one now, spend some time training him and letting him get used to us while we're still in a normal house with a yard and room for a crate (which should be about 2 months) OR do we wait until we're at the campground (or even later, at the land) where nothing is normal and we're already living tiny and trying to figure each other out. It's really hard to decide! Want to see my pros and cons list? (You probably don't but... it's my blog and maybe it'll help me think it through.) :-)
(Note: getting a puppy now means getting a Great Dane/Mastiff/Dobie mix (if the temperament fits) instead of waiting and saving for a long time and getting an allergy-friendly sheepadoodle or something.)

Getting puppy now. (Or, reverse for "Getting a puppy later")
Pros:
More time with him before we live in A-stream. (Read: trust, potty training, basic commands, etc...)
He'll be bigger and tougher looking at 6mo than he will at 2mo. (probably at least 50lbs+!)
I'll have him with me at both the future land and the place in-between.
Time for Will to get used to him before his world gets turned upside-down.

Cons:
Lack of funds/takes funds from Airstream for now.
Might be too stressful to be packing and training a powerful breed dog.
Getting one now means not getting an allergy friendly dog = hair everywhere.
Things are still unknown. (Will our buyer back out? Will we get the land? How long will we live at a campground? Do they allow pets? etc...)

I'm sure I could come up with more... what would you add?

That last thing I want to say is this: Will is slightly nervous about dogs. Do I just suck-it-up and not get one for fear of scarring him for life or... will he adjust? That might be the most important question.

What do you all think? About all of it.




2 comments:

  1. I think worrying about a dog right now is going to put a lot of stress on all of you and on the dog as well. You're going to be packing, moving, finding a temp place to stay, securing new land for the long-term, and dealing with a 38 year old Airstream all at the same time. I think the right dog could handle just about anything, but there's no guarantee that you'll end up with that dog. But you know me, though I am optimistic, I often bite off more than I can chew and that has made me more skeptical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right that it won't be easy. We are still undecided but, we plan on visiting the pups on Friday... at least, that's the current plan. We are going to be SUPER picky about the dog though so, it will have to be perfect. :-)

      Delete